Spread the love

The ‘fear of math’ literally affects millions of students across the world, to an extent that the fear is even considered ‘normal’ at times and sometimes blamed on the subject. Sharing the SIMPLEST of ideas that have worked for kids around the world, ideas that could be implemented RIGHT AWAY to turn around math for students who have wrongly assumed that they can’t get math. 

Satyam has been teaching students since 2013 and has been teaching students who have braved all odds to succeed – be it first-generation college students in India or refugee kids in Lebanon and Austria, kids in Johannesburg, South Africa to kids who come from the most inaccessible regions in Nepal. Using some of the methods in India, the data Satyam has been most proud of is, at Teach for India: 90% of his students in India had math as the top-scorer and for the remaining 10% math was their second-best score.

Simply put, his idea, ABCD-M – Anybody Can Do Math! 

The new approach to teaching math got recognized by Teach for India as the ‘Transformational Impact Journey Math Specialist’. 

His appeal – To look at math differently, implement the strategies, innovate your own and make math-phobia a thing of the past. 

Purpose: If the talk could help even a single kid turns around his/her math story, converting it from that of fear to love for numbers. Satyam Mishra hails from Bhagalpur in Bihar and holds an engineering degree from the Manipal Institute of Technology. He believes that teachers are vectors of education and proper education for girls is a topic very close to him. He was invited to teach refugee children in Malala Yousafzai All-Girls School in Lebanon in 2017. He is a former Teach for India fellow and national consultant for Mathematics. This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at https://www.ted.com/tedx

Facebook Comments

Spread the love

Posted by Contributor